31 July 2010

I had a fight

My ex and I had a fight tonight (and trust me, this is not like the usual ex-stories people tell).

It's an interesting dynamic because of the nature of our campus and the campus activities here. I am editor-in-chief of our campus newspaper, and he trained me in the job.

Our break-up in February was very bad and for a long time he treated me terribly. The past few months we've been friends, and it has been good. But this week he is angry with me for something. I haven't done anything wrong - somebody asked me a question and I answered. He seems to think that I smeared his name.

We had words tonight. He was treating me like a dog, and I couldn't pretend it's okay this time. So at some point I told him, "Get out of my office and get stuffed."

He left immediately and me, being stupid as I am, felt bad. So I went after him and said I'm sorry. He carried on walking. I SMS'd him.

ME:
Okay, you didn't have to hear me out. I'm sorry, I know that was uncalled for. But I am sorry. I don't know what I was thinking.
HIM:
YOU NEVER THINK! PERIOD!

I cried. I am afraid. He has a lot of influence on campus, and I am running for our student representative council at the moment. I am prepared for the possibility of losing the elections - but I want it to be fair. I have witnessed him seeing to it that staff at the university don't get re-hired; as a personal vendetta.

I still feel bad. It is taking all my resolve not to go to his room and apologise again.

What sucks is that he has treated me like total crap several times, and he has hardly ever apologised. It doesn't seem to bother him when he hurts me. I was a confident, successful young lady. And he has managed, over the past year, to break down every grain of confidence I have. He managed to make me believe that I was worthless. And yet here I am, worried that I hurt the man who claims to be untouchable.

No comments: