28 November 2008

If we had thanksgiving



In South Africa we don't celebrate thanksgiving, although Americans living here do, so I have experienced one thanksgiving dinner.

So, since anytime is a good time to be thankful and I don't think I am thankful nearly enough, here is what I am thankful for:
  • My family - perhaps that sounds clichèd, but I have lived in mortal fear of losing on of them to death and that has helped me to appreciate them so much more. I appreciate that I have them, because I know that so many people grieve for the loss of theirs daily.
  • Love - it took me a long time to start believing in it again and even longer to recognize the feeling. It has not been easy this year, we fought so much and sometimes it was downright ugly. But somehow this year would not have been the same without him and I do love him like I know he loves me.
  • School - the beautiful Victorian building, the technology, the shelter of the Matric Quad, the safety within those walls. I know I belong and I shall miss it dearly. And the things I learnt, of course - because I know that every thing has meant something to me.
  • Teachers - not for the knowledge they taught me, but the insight. The care and the interest, the things they taught me about myself.
  • My house, clean running water, electricity, shoes, clothes and food - because more than 80% of the country doesn't have that.
  • My brain - it has put me in places that many envy and has helped me cope in many situations. And it helped me be Dux.
  • Books - they keep me company when nobody else will and are a great procrastination tool.
  • iPod - because it's mine, gosh!
  • Debating, the debating juniors and debating trips - because it destroys ignorance and develops people and shows me a side of myself I sometimes forget. And because it is possible the funnest thing to do!

Being accepted to study Medicine at Stellenbosch-Tygerberg

Not getting everything I wanted


  • Being granted another day of life every morning
  • Friends - I don't see them much, but the times we have spent together have been a blessing
  • Grade 8s - they made my year wonderful and filled me with purpose.
  • Chocolate
  • Mxit, Facebook and Google - 'nuff said.
  • God - because, despite my struggles and doubt, I do believe he still looks out for me

No comments: